What do you do when those pledging to uphold the law are the ones breaking it? This question has been on the minds of many in Rutland County as of recently.
A police officer in Rutland, Vermont was suspended with pay, on February 5th, while being under investigation for child pornography. There are so many things wrong with this case I don’t even know where to begin.
First off, the pornography was found on the officers work computer SIX months prior to the suspension. The police department found pornography clearly not related to the officers case work and it took them six months to take action. I understand that a person is innocent until proven guilty, but I’d say that is pretty good proof. Even if the police department had yet to discover enough evidence to prosecute, wouldn't numerous pornographic images give at least give enough reason for immediate suspension?
Second, the question of intentionality has been brought up numerous times in this investigation. State police investigators have said that there is not enough proof that the officer "intentionally" downloaded these images. It seems odd to me that this could be a defense of any sort. It wasn't "an" image, singular, but many images and videos downloaded on his computer. I have yet to hear of any other officers in this precinct having problems with pornographic images downloading themselves. Also, the officer was in possession of multiple pornographic DVD’s which were found during a desk search. I suppose just like those images were mysteriously downloaded to his computer, these DVD’s just magically appeared in his desk.
It is truly appalling that someone who is supposed to be a model for our community and said to protect our men, women, and children would be a part of something so heinous. However, I find it more appalling that our police department would hide the investigation and delay punishment for 6 months, despite irrefutable evidence against said police officer.
Below is a video of Rutland City Police Chief Tony Bossi speaking of the officers recent suspension.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Woops. Forgot to tag this; although the VT subject matter prob gave it away. ~Courtney
ReplyDelete